From today’s class. I put these up on Blackboard as well:
• Perceived tension between inquiry and “covering content”
• Kids come in with initial conceptions of how the world works
o Assessing prior knowledge, building on that knowledge to do authentic science
• Models can represent principles
o Problems with abstraction?
• Many of us were not taught using inquiry methods
• Inquiry is grounded in empiricism
• Inquiry is great for teaching science process
• Inquiry can be time consuming, but learning is stronger than merely “covering” material
• Planning is massively important
• Inquiry need not necessarily be all-day, every-day
• Scaffolding experiences for students increases efficiency in the long-run
• There are no Regents exams for camp!
• Passion for science is contagious